Monday, October 27, 2008

Walking With God

Went for a run after dinner because I felt God prompting me to start exercising again. Haven't  really been taking care of my body these few months. Harharhar...chocolates make me happy but I have a feeling that one day, they WILL clog up my arteries.

Anyhow, I usually run 2 rounds around my estate and stop. Today, after 2 rounds, I pushed myself to go on and I realised that it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I was exhausted and thought that if I stopped after 2 rounds, it was quite justified coz after all 2 rounds is slightly more than 2.4km (I think!). Well, I ran 3 rounds today (abt 3.9km!). Heh...quite an accomplishment ok! God was cheering me on!

As I ran, I thought about today's sermon that Ps Grace shared. When she pronounced it as one of the best years of her life, I was immediately skeptical. I mean, she lost a son! How could it be, right???? And my next thought was that 2008 has been one of the worst years in my life. THE WORST. Like words can't even begin to describe how ABSOLUTELY awful it has been...aargghh...

But then as she went on, I understood why she said what she said. In addition, I've just started reading Walking With God by John Eldredge. About halfway through now. And one sentence in the book really stood out. Let me quote him:

"As long as our happiness is tied to the things we can lose, we are vulnerable."

This sentence gave me a good shake-up. Many times, I think that I'll be happy if only I had this and that but in the end, it really boils down to recognising God is ALL. EVERYTHING I would ever need. Joy should be based on having God alone and not on what or who we have in our lives. Look at another excerpt:

"God is asking us to let go of the things we love and have given our hearts to, so that we can give our hearts even more fully to him."

At the beginning of this year, I committed myself to having regular QT and so far, although I haven't been perfect, I've been pretty regular and I've learnt so much, so much just by waiting on Him. Perhaps, that's why when my world started to collapse, I escaped with life intact. I gave my heart to God. It's a hard lesson to learn. But if that was what it took, then I can safely say that 2008 is probably the best year of my life. Ironic. Harharhar...

Life still has its rough spots and every now and then, I trip, fall and cry. But God helps me up and that is enough.

=]

1 Comments:

Blogger clarissa said...

hi squidy. i'm sorry you've had an awful year, but the later part of your post was good to keep in mind :) esp now i'm trying to find a job and yet not worry so much about it and also support friends who're in the same boat. <3 miss you!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home